We are minimalists in our house. It started several years ago as a practical decision when we downsized from a house to an apartment while simultaneously growing our family. There was simply no room to store several strollers or extra clothes or kitchen gadgets we used once a year. Over the course of 2011 we paired our belongings down to about half of what we had started with and donated, sold, or gave away what we didn’t absolutely need. It. Was. Exhilarating. Ever since then we have made it a habit of going through all of our closets about twice a year and one big purge about once a year. (We are due for another one. Haha!)
If you follow me on Instagram, you may have been one of several people commenting on the kids shoes and how they always wear the same pair throughout the entire season. This is one way we save money, reduce clutter, and teach the kids the importance of taking care of their belongings. Besides, getting ready is simplified and an absolute cinch! We thrift a lot of our clothes, but I find that investing in one good pair of shoes goes a long way…and we usually pass them down.
With a new season coming on, I’ve rounded up some of my favorite shoe options for cold weather. Think versatility, durability, and quality. These are both boys and girls, but we mix and match in our house. ;)
1. Maa – Emma Shoes in Brown Leather | I think that there is nothing sweeter than a little girl in a floral dress and mary janes. My girls wear (and prefer) dresses or skirts almost all year long. In the winter we wear thick knit tights and strapped shoes like these look absolutely darling.
2. Angulas Chelsea Boots in Black | I discovered this shop through one of my style icons, Courtney Adamo. Her children always look so timeless and I love that. These quality boots come in black or brown and would look impeccable with trousers or dresses.
3. Minnetonka Beaded Moccasin | I debated on whether or not to include a suede option, since we’ve tried and it does not hold up all year with my (very) rowdy children. But I realize that some of you have less energetic personalities in your household and these beautiful moccasins would be perfect! We have owned Minnetonkas in the past and they seem to run on the smaller side, but looked precious with everything we wore. (Also, these are less of an investment than these other leather options I’m sharing.)
4. Naturino Chukka Boots | I wanted these so so bad for the girls this year. I love the contrasting stitching and the red laces and Naturino has been such good quality for us in the past. Alas,Zappos only has a few sizes available and after spending waaaay too much time trying to find another company that carries them, I gave up. I hope somebody snags these.
5. Clarks Desert Boot in Chestnut Leather | These are the shoes I bought for Emma this year and we are loving them. They are quality leather (boys shoe) and we scored them for half off in our Clarks Bostonian Outlet. Not all outlets carry kids, but you can click on the link and order online with free shipping.
6. Livie and Luca Boys Shoes | Is it just me or is it hard to avoid the scuffs?! These cute go-anywhere shoes will last long with the sole wrapping over the toe and are easily put on with the velcro closure. As always, the plaid lining and swirled stitching are proof that Livie and Luca care about attention to details. They come in not just the black, as shown above, but vintage brown and red.
Are you a minimalist too or want to be?! I’ll share more tips and tricks as gear up for fall.